THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. READ MORE HERE.
As a first-time mom, I was completely lost in the baby world. I had NO idea what I needed for a new baby. I bought all of the supplies thinking that I would use them all because that’s what I was told but really didn’t use the majority of it.
I have a few must-haves that I have learned over the years. I’m on my third kid and it’s much easier now to figure out what I need as opposed to my first. Products have evolved over the years too, which is incredible. They even make bottle makers that look like Kerigs for babies. Say what? I breastfeed but I thought that was pretty cool.
I have listed some of my must-haves below with a few details about each one to help you determine if you think you need it for yourself.
- NoseFrida the Snotsucker Baby Nasal Aspirator – It is awesome and is so much better than a bulb syringe. It’s not gross, there’s a stopper in it, so no worries there.
- Humidifier – One thing I didn’t know is HOW MUCH babies get congestion. Geez, it’s a nightmare. I already get paranoid and constantly check to make sure they’re breathing. This will come in handy when they do get congested.
- Safety 1st Safety Kit – This comes with nail clippers, nail files, etc. I like to keep one of these in the diaper bag just in case I need it while I’m out. I have all of these things laying around the house since I already have 2 kids but still buy one with each kid to keep in the diaper bag.
- Mommy Bliss Gripe Water – Tristen had colic and now has Reflux and GERD. THIS STUFF IS A MIRACLE. If you have a gassy baby, look no further. This is the stuff you need and it’s natural. Get some before the baby gets here so you have some in case you need it.
- Infant Tylenol – You will need a fever reducer on hand in case your baby starts to run a fever. It’s common for babies to have febrile seizures so it’s good to have so that you can stop the fever the second you see an onset.
- Baby Vicks Baby Rub – This pairs with the humidifier. When Tristen was 3 months old he got really bad congestion and I ended up having to take him out at 2 am to get something for it. He would not sleep and could barely breathe. The pharmacist recommended this and it has been a godsend, even now that he is 7. Adult vicks it pretty harsh, this one is toned down quite a bit but does the job. I usually put it on their feet with socks.
Boudreaux’s Butt Paste Diaper Rash Ointment – My favorite diaper rash cream if I can’t have the prescription stuff. This is probably the closest thing to miracle cream you can get. It works wonders! If you need a little more help try the maximum strength kind.
- Luvs – I have tried every diaper brand there is and Luvs are by far my favorite. When I was a first-time mom, I was a bit stuck up and insisted on having the most expensive brand. It is not necessary. Do not sleep on Luvs diapers! They are great and this momma’s favorite by a long shot. I’m almost scared to try anything else.
- Hatch Baby Rest Night Light, Sound Machine, and Time-to-Rise – White noise or anything of sound to drown out background noise is great for newborns. Babies are so used to hearing our heartbeat that it’s comforting for them to have background noise. I like this one because it also acts as a nightlight.
- Wearable Blanket – These are incredible. Due to SIDS, they suggest not putting blankets in the crib or bassinet with the baby. These wearable blankets won’t interfere or get into their face so you won’t have to worry about these. Seriously, genius idea.
- aden + anais Classic Swaddle Baby Blanket – OMG! These are the only blankets I want for my baby, especially for swaddling. They are so soft, stretchy, and lightweight. Perfect for swaddling.
- Lollipop Baby Monitor – If you are not sleeping in the same room as the baby at night or even when you put them down for a nap during the day, you will definitely want to check in on them. This baby monitor is great and you can stream it straight to your phone. Plus, I like that you can stick it around the crib.
- Fisher-Price Deluxe Rock and Play – Kennedy loved this thing and I’m super excited that they make an auto one now. I had to push hers but seriously she was content in this for so long. She didn’t like her crib, this was her go-to for sleeping if she wasn’t in the bed with us. – *Warning: Please read about this product before purchasing.
- Graco Aire3 Click Connect Travel System – I have searched high and low for a great stroller and car seat combo. Finding a car seat isn’t that hard but finding the perfect stroller has been an absolute nightmare. THIS is the way to go. Trust me on this. If you don’t choose this one, read all the reviews or test drive them if you can. We have had the hardest time. I like to go for walks around the neighborhood or even jogs so I need something that can sustain fast pace activity, most of our past strollers have not this one does though.
- HINT: A LOT of new mom buy a whole new car seat and base for other cars. If you or your spouse have separate cars, just buy an extra base. They usually run you about $30-$50 as opposed to hundreds. Go the cheaper route, it will save you so much money.
- Tula Free to Grow Baby Carrier – I am telling you, I would get NOTHING done if it wasn’t for babywearing. I love to baby wear and I get so much done that way. I carry the baby in the grocery store and around the house when I’m doing household chores and this is by far my favorite wrap. I also loved my Boppy carrier too. It’s made out of yoga material and it came in handy when Bexley was smaller.
- Boppy – THE NURSING PILLOW. Period.
- Lansinoh Therapearl Breast Therapy – These are great for engorged breasts, to help with let down, and to comfort you if you have mastitis. I highly recommend these in the first few weeks of nursing. You will want the relief.
- Lansinoh Breast Cream – There is NO WAY this mom would pump or nurse in the beginning without this stuff. It’s the lubricant for your breast. This helps prevent cracked nipples. Definitely, a must-have for this breastfeeding momma.
- Spectra S2 – I attached it but honestly, you can probably get this for free through your insurance. I’m going to make a post about this soon. Shop around and see. The Spectra is by far the best pump I ever had.
- Fisher-Price Sit Me Up Floor Seat – It is a baby occupant. If you’re looking for some free time, this is a fun thing for babies. If they aren’t sitting yet but are close, this will also encourage that.
- Wubbanub – Our kids have always liked pacifiers but they definitely go missing quickly. The wubbanub is big enough so that it’s easy to find and it has a little lovey on it so it’s easy for babies to hold it in their mouth.
Congrats on your new baby! I hope this a guide to help you build your baby registry and prepare for your new bundle of joy.